Rough draft of my book but publishing here it anyway

                               The Early Intervention Your Child Might Need

By Eliza Arnoldus

“Addie doesn’t have enough language,” my mom says.  Addie had just turned two.  She probably would eventually learn language I told myself.  Her older brother Tommy was speech-delayed as a two-year-old as well, he eventually learned language, so I was not worried.  Ted and I have three children, Tommy (9), Anna (6), and Addie (2).  In 2008, we lived in southern California, in a city named Irvine.   We lived in a master-planned community called Woodbridge. It had two man-made lakes and numerous walking paths to various parks and swimming pools.  I grew up here. This was the neighborhood I grew up in.  Ted asked me when we got married where I would like to live, and I said anywhere that is just like Woodbridge. It proved to be somewhat hard to find a place just like it.  So, we settled there, in a small townhouse in Woodbridge near a pool and a park.  While everything in my life had gone reasonably smooth up to that point, (other than the shock of having children of course), my life was about to get a crash course in health and nutrition.

“You need to have her tested by the Regional Center (California’s children’s services) to see if she qualifies for speech therapy.” My mom had worked in special education teaching kids to read for over 20 years.  She was trained to spot those who needed help early.

I was thinking, “sure, free services couldn’t hurt, why not.”  I called the Regional Center of Orange County.  A very nice woman came to our house ready with toys and such that would help evaluate whether Addie needed to be tested.  We set a date for Addie to be tested. This was November of 2008.  Addie was 27 months old.   Addie was tested and her scores came back very low, which now started to worry me a little.  She was testing low in all areas, but especially in communication and receptive language.  She was over 2 years old, and she was testing at a 1-year-old level.  But early intervention was the key, as everyone was telling me, and things would be fine.  So, she started their educational therapy at the end of 2008. 

The Regional Center sent over a very nice college-age student named Chelsea (name changed) a few times a week and she started doing ABA therapy with Addie.  Addie was wary at first of this new person coming to visit her at home.  At first, she would hide.  Chelsea would coax her out by playing with blocks or play dough.  Eventually, Addie knew the drill expected of her when Chelsea would come over. She needed to play her games and she would get rewards.  Chelsea had fun rewards for her to earn like princess stickers, bubbles, and such.  She needed to learn and communicate with us in order to be allowed to play with the fun toys we would put in front of her.  Sometimes, Chelsea and I would hold two ends of a blanket with her laying in the middle like a swing. She would have to respond with “more” or “the sign for more” for us to swing her.  She did not always enjoy this ABA therapy though.  Sometimes she was not in the mood to even communicate for rewards.  Her moods were hard to forecast. 

Little things would make Addie frustrated or moody.  She did not like the family singing together.  Whenever we would sing, she would hold her hands over her ears and yell, “stop!”  She did not like me playing dolls with her or interacting with her much.  Whenever I would try, she would say, “No!” She was affectionate when she wanted to be, but it was always according to her timetable or mood.

During this time, the regional center caseworker assigned to Addie also said she wanted to have her tested for Occupational Therapy.   I did not know what occupational therapy meant at first. I had to look it up. Occupational therapists assist children and their caregivers to build skills that enable them to participate in meaningful occupations. Occupational therapists also address the psychosocial needs of children and youth to enable them to participate in meaningful life events. These occupations may include: normal growth and development, feeding, play, social skills, and education.” (Wikipedia).  So, we had her tested and something strange happened at that appointment.  I remember the therapist tester said, “Addie doesn’t respond to her name.”   We sat behind Addie as she played with some toys or blocks.  I called out her name.  She did not respond.  I said it again.  She did not respond.  I was a little more worried at this point.  We had been at this ABA therapy thing for a few months, and she still did not respond to her own name.  This was disheartening.  She qualified for OT services, and we started going to a clinic for those as well as another speech therapist clinic down the street. 

Over a couple months, Addie did not seem to be learning language to me.  In fact, she seemed to be getting worse.  I saw a growing gap between her and the children we interacted with that were her age.  A little twinge of pain tugged at me every time a younger child would communicate with their parent in sentences or any words at all.  I couldn’t understand how my baby, who was perfectly normal at birth, was now struggling to learn. I couldn’t understand how I could not go anywhere without her buckled down in a stroller.  She had no fear of running away from me.  There was one way I could take her places, in a stroller with a sippy cup of milk.  Otherwise, I could look away for a second and she would be gone, and I would be searching the roads and parking lots until I would find her.  One day, we were at the park with a playgroup, and I was watching her go up and down the slide.  I looked away only for a few moments, looked back and she was not there anymore. I went closer to the slide looking in and around the tunnel portion. She was gone.  I looked all around turning 360 degrees. She was nowhere.   The park was down a small hill from a busy road.  I quickly ran up to the road fearful I might find her struck by a car in the street. She was not there either.  She had vanished. So many fears racing through my head at that moment.  I ran all over the park.  The immediate need to find my child before something disastrous happened was overwhelming.  Finally, I ran to the parking lot.  I found her sitting by a car wheel playing with the rocks on the road. 

She gradually seemed to have less and less of an attention span.  I would notice other children her age coming up to their parents and asking them for things, communicating with them, understanding the parent’s instructions.  I felt this sad envy every time I saw that.  Her cousin Jane was about a year younger and already talking and communicating with sentences.  For some reason, this discouraged me even more.  What happened to my happy little baby daughter that was developing fine? She would giggle when I would dance with her.  She used to look at cameras and smile. Now she would not look anyone in the eye, let alone a camera.  I asked her ABA therapist if she thought she was improving.  She gave a half-hearted “yeah.” 

Occupational therapy started and this was different because now I would leave Addie at the clinic while they worked with her.  The clinic was set up somewhat like a gym with swings and sensory pools filled with items and balance beams.  Addie loved to spin in the tire swing apparatus.  Her therapist said it helped her focus to spin and to swing.  She would be more receptive after using the swing.  They taught her things like self-feeding and would work on her speech as well.

Speech therapy was at ACES.  We worked with a very hard-working therapist who wouldn’t let Addie get away with doing ANYTHING without using some type of communication.  She would see whatever toy Addie wanted to play with and then would not let her play with it without her using her words.  She had a lot of “parent-directed” toys that required the adult to do something for it to work, such as blowing a balloon and letting it go, or toys that needed the parent to turn them on.  Addie was basically forced to communicate.  I knew these therapies were helping somewhat but it didn’t change the fact that Addie didn’t seem to want to communicate. 

We continued these therapies for about six months.  Addie was coming up on her 3rd birthday which meant she would be assessed by the school district now and not the regional center.  I did not really see a difference in her ability to communicate.  I felt like we were not really getting anywhere.  What I also did not see coming was the idea that Addie might be labeled Autistic.  I did not really have a clear understanding of what autism was.  I thought that the main characteristic of autism was that they were not affectionate to their parents or others.  Addie was affectionate on occasions so for this reason I did not connect the dots. 

She was assessed by the school district in June 2009.  At the IEP meeting after the assessment, they told me that Addie qualified for services under the name of Autism.  I think I went into shock at the meeting, I started crying when I had to talk, I started shaking and getting the chills.   What in the world happened to my perfect little developing baby?  The rest of the meeting was kind of a blur.  They talked about goals that were aimed really low.  They wanted Addie to be able to imitate stacking blocks by the next year.  I wanted her to do pertinent things like ask me to play dolls with her by tomorrow.  I am exaggerating a little bit, but I was not ready for this news.  And I did agree with them that Addie was certainly delayed developmentally.   My mom looked over the assessment they gave us.  She had some other special education teachers she knew look over the IEP to get their feedback.  She didn’t want to tell me at the time, but her scores were so low she feared mental retardation as well. 

I had many thoughts run through my mind that day.  I had this urge to find out all I could about autism and what I could do to help Addie.  To me, I kind of sensed that her temper was on edge a lot of the time.  Her moods were hard to deal with.  I also knew that diet affected my moods and herbal supplements have helped my brain feel calm.  I thought there must be something I can do to help nutritionally with Addie.  I looked up diets for Autism and immediately came across the gluten-free/casein-free diet which is basically wheat-free and dairy-free.  When I came across this, I thought about Addie’s diet.  She liked to drink milk, a lot of milk.  In fact, milk was one of the main staples of her diet.  Taking away milk would be difficult but if it wasn’t available, she really didn’t have the communication skills to ask for it.  It was my other kids I had to convince.  

Meanwhile, my husband Ted was in the middle of switching jobs.  In fact, the day after Addie was diagnosed with autism, he left on an airplane to start developing his new shipping business in Utah.  I was now alone during the workweek to figure out this new challenge for our family. If there was any time in my life I wanted to just sit down and cry this was the time.  I really wanted to move to Utah, but I realized that Utah does not have as comprehensive of services for early childhood as the specialized autism program we qualified for in Irvine.  In Irvine, Addie would receive 5 hours a day, 4 days a week, in a special education class specifically geared towards autism.  She would almost have one on one therapy in this class.  In Utah, the best they could offer me was a large special education preschool class, 3 hours a day, 4 days a week, not specifically for autism.   So, Ted went up to start his business in Utah and I decided to stay in Irvine just to help Addie stay in the best program possible.  We also had no idea if his new business would generate any income but I tried not to think about that. Ummm… oh yeah, and just to make things extra chaotic, I decided to change our whole family’s diet to gluten-free/casein-free!  Talk about big changes all at once!   

The first day I took away the milk and wheat, Addie said her first spontaneous, non-forced, words to me at the end of the day.  We were leaving a pool party and she said, “No, this way.”  I was like, “What?”  “Did she just try to communicate with me?”  This gave me two things: hope, that I really could make a difference by changing her diet and… guilt. Did I really cause her delayed development by feeding her too much milk?   All alone one night with my kids I did sit down and cry because I wanted to turn back time.   My husband was gone, my daughter had autism, and I had to figure out how to feed my family in a completely new and foreign way.  Luckily, my survival instincts kicked in and I thought, “You don’t have time to cry and it won’t do any good anyway, so just keep it together and do your best.”

First of all, nearly everything has wheat in it.  If it does not have wheat in it, it has milk.  And if it does not have those two things it usually has a lot of sugar, which probably we should stay away from as well.  What in the world were we going to eat?  Eggs?  What if she had an allergy to those as well?   There was a little girl Addie’s age at church who went to the same speech therapist who was allergic to eggs.   I remember while grocery shopping one day I almost broke down crying because how was I to know what to buy?  There were lots of different gluten-free/milk-free options but everything seemed so expensive.  Ted was trying to get his new business running which was not producing a profit at that moment and I was now trying to buy everything organic with unique ingredients.  I nearly tripled our grocery bill.   I needed some type of clear answer if she really was allergic to different foods or not. 

I remember I was at a specialty grocery store and a kind worker asked me if I needed help. I was so overwhelmed, and I told her my predicament almost in tears. She gave me the number of a doctor that specializes in a holistic approach to medicine that could test Addie’s blood for allergies.  That calmed me down for the moment.  I decided to make an appointment.  She had a blood panel done and tested about 50 different foods.  The test was called Comprehensive Food Panel IgG ELISA.  The biggest allergens were milk and wheat.   Next were peanuts, oranges, pineapple, and watermelon.  I knew about oranges because every time I fed her orange juice, she would get a huge rash in her elbow and knee folds.    She was somewhat allergic to about 15 other fruits and vegetables, but not eggs, thank goodness.   These signs pointed somewhat to a citrus allergy.  Citrus however is one of those foods that help you fight off viruses.  If Addie was allergic to citrus, then how could she be strengthened to fight off viruses?

 The Doctor also prescribed a lotion containing glutathione.  Glutathione is the thing in your body that gloms on to toxins and kills them and takes them out of the body. I was supposed to rub it on her back.  That seemed like worth a try. We only used this a few times though.

The same day that I found out about the GF/CF diet, I also was looking on the internet with my mom.  She opened a website that had blood samples of typical developing children and blood samples of children on the autism spectrum.  The samples of typical developing children showed red blood cells that were bouncing off one another, they had the theta-factor around each erythrocyte.  In other words, they were carrying oxygen and could flow through the veins easily.  The blood samples of the children on the autism spectrum showed erythrocytes that were clumped together, they couldn’t flow easily because they were all stuck together.  There was also a lack of oxygen on the surface of the red blood cells.   Now, I am not a doctor, nor do I have access to large sample groups of children so I can test if this website really was accurate.  I no longer can find the website either.  It just sort of vanished which is strange to me.  I am just a mom, willing to try anything (of course not quite everything because safety is an issue) to help her daughter have a healthy shot at life.   So, I researched how to get more oxygen into one’s blood.  I learned that people with more oxygen in their blood have a more alkaline blood ph rather than acidic.  So, eating foods that would promote an alkaline blood ph would seem to be the goal at this point.  Pretty simple right?  Well not exactly now that it seemed she could not tolerate various foods that would help alkalize her blood.  I bought some ph strips to test her urine on.  They came back acidic.

The summer of 2009 we vacationed at my grandmother’s home in Salt Lake City.  My mom helped me research programs in Utah that treated children on the spectrum.  We came across The Children’s Center where we made an appointment to see one of the psychologists there.  She diagnosed Addie as being PDD-NOS (Pervasive Development Disorder Not Otherwise Specified).  It seemed with the diet change was helping Addie improve.  I didn’t want her to plateau though.  I wanted her to be able to continue improving so she could catch up with her peers.  We also visited the Pingree School for Autism Spectrum children.  The tuition seemed astronomical at $25,000 dollars a year plus there was a two-year waiting list.  While we were there, I remember that the only thing Addie wanted to do was lay near the door and watch it open and close.  Although the diet was helping, she needed more than just a diet change it seemed.

The frustration with finding a healthy diet for Addie was weighing on my mind.  I knew when she was about 9 months old, she had had a yeast rash from eating some frosting.  I wondered if she might have a yeast problem that was causing all these allergies.  Yeast tends to grow in an acidic environment and crowds out the healthy flora that is supposed to be in the gut.  I found some good pro-biotics online from a company on www. Thecandidayeastanswer.com.   I saw a good change in alertness and attentiveness with this. But was it helping enough?

At church in California, I met a woman whose son was also on the Spectrum.  She was giving him some enzymes to help him digest his food and to combat too much yeast in the body.  I talked with her about the dietary changes she made and the progress she saw in her son.  I decided to give the enzymes she suggested a try.  I noticed a change in her bowel movements.  And I noticed she was able to focus more during her various therapies.  I bought some books to read, Enzymes for Autism, Nourishing Hope, A Child’s Journey Out of Autism.  All were very good reads and very informative on simple dietary changes that help children be able to have healthier bodies and digestive function.

 There was so much I wanted to learn about digestion and how to make it easier for Addie.  You need the omega- 3 fats to create brain cells.  I learned that you need bile to digest fats.  You need the amino acid taurine and vitamin B-5 to make bile.   The body was a complex machine I was trying to learn more about.  There was also a problem with foods that contain something called phenols.  Apparently, phenols are a big problem for kids with ADHD and ASD.  Many children on the spectrum can’t process phenols and so they interfere with their ability to be calm.  Unfortunately, phenols are also compounds that detoxify the body and typically come from antioxidants.  They need more sulfate to be able to process the phenols.  One book suggested using Epsom Salt baths (magnesium sulfate) to help with the process.  The first time I gave Addie an Epsom salt bath I found that her stool was very darkly colored after this bath and that she was finally processing all these darkly pigmented foods I had been feeding her.  There are also popular diets out there called the Fein-gold diet, the Specific –Carbohydrate Diet, and various others trying to help with these digestive issues.  But the problem I found though is it is extremely difficult to control what your child eats not only because they can be picky, but because we live in a social world where there will be food available to them that is not on the diet you think would be beneficial to them.  

I am also a big believer in all-natural solutions. It is just intuition I admit.  Modern medicine has made great advancements in our day, but sometimes I feel their protocol should be the last solution not the first.  I have often felt the same benefits from taking all-natural herbs as from taking antibiotics or other synthetic medicines.

The other concern I had about what was causing her development delay was heavy metals or mercury.  If she cannot detoxify her body, then the vaccinations that she had been given were still in her body wreaking havoc.  What if the aluminum in the vaccines was still in her body?  What if there was mercury in those vaccinations?  Did she need chelation?  Should I feed her lots of cilantro?  (Cilantro is a natural chelator apparently) I was comparing the vaccination records of my children.  My first child was vaccinated starting at two months old. I nursed him for 2 years. My second child was vaccinated starting at two months old. I nursed her for 8 months.  Addie was given the hepatitis B vaccine at two weeks old, (Why!?) and I only nursed her for six months.  I remember reading in my journal two weeks after Addie’s MMR vaccine at around 18 months….  “Addie is doing cute things lately like bobbing her head and walking on her tippy toes.”  UMMMMMM…… I am not saying that the MMR caused her autism, but it seemed to be the nail in the coffin.

Meanwhile, in September 2009, I would take Addie for walks around the neighborhood parks.  One evening after dinner, I took my kids to the park by myself.  I noticed a woman there with her almost two-year-old son.  She was trying to get him to interact with my children.  She also was trying to have him not run away.  She sat him on her lap and began blowing bubbles trying to get him to imitate her.   I was a little bold, but I said, “Is your son autistic?”  She said, “Yes.”  I talked with her for as much as I could before her son was running away too far.  I told her about Addie and all the things I was doing to try and help her.  I invited her to my house to show her all the supplements we were taking.  Pro-biotics and Himalayan salt seemed to be making a big impact.  I think I even gave her some Epsom salts to try a bath on her son.   I gave her my phone number and email address but never heard back from her after that night.

I also learned about Hyperbaric Oxygen chambers.  They force more oxygen into the bloodstream through pressure.  They have shown good success rates with helping kids on the spectrum.  Kids have started talking after using these machines.  Forcing more oxygen into the blood seemed to be the perfect solution.  Oxygen makes the blood less acidic, a more alkaline environment killing off yeast and fungus.  More oxygen means the blood will be able to clean the body better and thus processing the vaccinations and whatever other toxins were in her body.  So, I ventured out to try one of these machines.   I went to a showroom-type place where they sell the machines and let you try them out.  Addie and I got inside.  The man helping us was outside controlling the dive or the pressure that we would experience.  I suddenly felt a lot of pressure on my body.  I had to clear my ears or else they would pop.  I noticed Addie had a little bit of a runny nose.  I wondered if she would be able to clear her ears.  I asked her if she was okay.  She was not letting me know.   I remember she got stung by a bee at the park the other day and it did not even phase her.  Her sensory system was a little off and I knew she did not have a normal sense of pain.   I was getting scared. What if her eardrums popped?  I quickly signaled for the man to let us out.  I was a little disappointed this machine was so hard for us to use and that it cost an arm and a leg at about $10,000.  On the drive home though, Addie seemed extra alert and attentive to my questions, so I was somewhat encouraged. 

Addie was making quick progress at Pre-school after all my efforts with the dietary changes.  They moved her up from the more severe class to the higher-functioning program.  I was so thrilled!  I knew we were getting somewhere.   I also wanted to move to Utah so that I could get my family together and not feel like a single mom anymore.  In November of 2009, I finally felt like Utah’s programs for special needs could handle my daughter’s case and having our family all in one place would be beneficial to all of us.  My other two children were constantly complaining about the things I made for breakfast.  They did not like such great recipes as bean flour/beet pancakes, or cilantro/honey/beans pie.  I did not really either, but I was trying to get our family healthy.  The diet was wearing me out.  I knew that, in reality, it would not be a long-term solution.  It was too hard and frustrating controlling everything she ate and spending so much time cooking on things she would not eat.  I had faith that there would be something out there, that God would lead me to something that would change things.  I did not know what, but I still thought there would be an easier solution to getting more oxygen in her blood.   I thought about food-grade hydrogen peroxide, but it seemed too dangerous.  Accidental overdose can kill people. I was nervous to even have it in my house.   I was tempted to give it to her so many times, but I knew that there had to be something safer out there. There had to be something that would be safe for me to share with other parents of Autistic children. Thankfully, my faith that God would lead me to something safer kept me from trying things that seemed dangerous.

Let me elaborate on Himalayan salt for a moment. I came across pink Himalayan salt.  This salt has many minerals in it including iron which give it a “pink” color.  WATER & SALT: THE ESSENCE OF LIFE By Peter Ferreira and Dr. Barbara Hendel is a book I recommend on understanding the role of salt in our bodies.  Pink Himalayan salt helps balance the body's ph and replenishes electrolytes helping the overall energy of the body.  I saw a significant die-off and regression when I gave Addie this salt, which helped me know that it was working.  Later, I noticed an increase in her ability to pay attention and learn.

Keeping Addie away from sweets during Christmas would be hard.  In fact, controlling Addie’s diet so that the yeast which fed on sugar would die off and the blood would be more alkaline and able to flow freely was nearly impossible! I did not want to take her to any social functions where this food would be offered but she also needed the social interaction.  I did notice that Addie was progressing faster than her schoolmates and was able to move up to a higher-functioning program.  It seemed though that I was getting just “little bites” of success only leaving me hungry and impatient for more progress I could be observing.  I did want her to go to social things and interact with other kids, but I feared what foods might be there that would disrupt any progress she was making. 

One day I took Addie out in the stroller for a walk to the park while the other kids were at school.  I remember seeing a father and his two-year-old son at the park we were passing.  I wanted to go to a park that was further away because I wanted to get more exercise, but something kept nagging me.  I kept getting the feeling that Addie needed to go and play with that son.  I ignored the feeling, but it would not go away. So, I turned around walked back to the park we passed, and introduced myself to the man and his son.  It turns out it was the same little boy I had met earlier with his mom at the park one evening.  We exchanged phone numbers and addresses because I wanted to tell them about all the things that were helping Addie.  They had our family over for dinner at their house one evening and we found strength in each other’s stories.  We also commented to each other how it was strange to know about so many autism cases in our small community. We often saw much older children at our park clearly with severe autism.  At least now I had the support of someone going through my same struggles.

I had the idea for a while like a therapy dog might help Addie start communicating more.  She might feel more comfortable interacting with a pet.  In January 2010, my mom found a clipping in the penny saver advertising standard poodle puppies.  We called and asked if we could come to look at the litter.  So, for my birthday we went to Lake Elsinore and picked out two white standard poodle puppies, a girl and a boy. Why did I get two? I am not sure. Why did I think I could afford two? I do not know.  I did not realize that having two would make it harder not easier.  We named them Elsie and Toby.  Thus, I was thrust into the world of dog ownership.  It was raining the first week I brought them home. This made the first week even more difficult because they were not house-trained, and I could not just leave them outside. My kids really did enjoy them though.   I do recommend Standard poodles as a breed.  They are very gentle and love attention.  They do need a lot of grooming, but their hair does not shed so it is good for people with allergies. Elsie (she is 13 years old as I am writing this) has never bitten anyone...ever... even other dogs (except for her big brother Toby when they were play fighting).   She even likes to play with cats.  She has however caught a duck in her mouth once, but the breed was meant for duck hunting.   I am not sure if I can chalk this one up as a win for Addie’s therapy. Mainly because they did make my life somewhat more complicated in that small little townhouse we were living in. I thought we would be moving to a big home in Utah before the dogs got too big, but they grew rather fast. Pretty soon I was living with three children, one with special needs, and two crazy large poodle puppies all in a small-town house with just a patio.  I really didn’t want to leave the services we were getting and my hometown with all my friends and family, but we had to move somewhere larger.  I needed to be in the same state as my husband!

In August of 2010, I finally took a leap of faith and moved to a nice neighborhood in Utah. We needed to celebrate Addie’s fourth birthday.  Addie’s birthday cake was a stack of gluten-free pancakes with strawberries in between with no sugar.  Fortunately, she was too young to think this wasn’t normal. School started right away in Utah.  Addie was in a very nice preschool that had a mix of special needs children and typical developing children. This seemed ideal because now she had examples of typical behaving children that she could pattern herself after and see what typical social interaction was like.  Addie and I went to tour the school beforehand. The room had just received new carpet though and the fumes were kind of giving me a headache.  I was a little worried that this would decrease the oxygen in Addie’s blood.  I voiced my concern to Addie’s new teacher. She didn’t think it wasn’t a big deal and kind of looked at me like I was overreacting.  Oh well, hopefully they will keep the windows open or something I thought.  By this point, I was researching essential oils.  They seemed to have an effect but not nearly the scale that I wanted.

We enjoyed living in a larger home with a backyard for the poodles to run and play.  I continued to pray that God would lead me to something that would help Addie’s blood.  I was hoping this move to Utah was a good decision and not one I would regret.  A few months went by and another move to a smaller house seemed like a better fit for our family of five.  (I kind of went overboard with renting such a large place at first) We still had a large yard for our poodles to run though! 

During Christmas 2010, I was at a party at my in-law’s house when I met one of Ted’s uncles.  I told him all about my journey with Addie and all the dietary supplements I was giving her and how much progress she was making. He told me how he was using a machine that separates his red blood cells and gets them to flow better through his veins.   I stopped right there and looked at him. I was so astonished, I said, “That is exactly what I am looking for.”  Apparently, he had been using it for his kidneys so that he would not have to go on dialysis.  The machine was called the BEMER 3000.  It was a pulsed electromagnetic field.  The same type of technology is used in astronaut suits.  Basically, it uses the iron in the blood to help “unstick” the red blood cells and get them to bounce off one another and freely move through all the veins.  He told me we could come by and try the machine.  I went by one day and both Addie and I tried the machine on level one.  You lay on the mat for 8 minutes while it sends a magnetic field around your body.  You cannot feel anything.  At the end of the eight minutes, you tend to feel more relaxed.  Some even fall asleep.  Addie seemed calmer after she tried the machine.  The next day I felt a total detox reaction.  I felt completely groggy like I was sick.  Toxin’s die-off gases were being released into my blood creating less oxygen in my blood for the time being.  I also noticed a day or two later, an eczema patch I had had on my leg for about 3 months was now completely gone.  This machine was definitely doing something. 

For my birthday, Ted surprised me by buying the machine.  It cost more than Ted’s car at $4,000 but we were miraculously able to afford it.   I started Addie on a program of 8 min twice a day at level one.  We stopped being so strict with her diet. I gradually increased the levels each week until we got to level 10.  Addie was so much calmer.   She used the machine for 3 months twice a day eight minutes at a time.  Something was changing. She used the mat from late January to the beginning of May so about 3 months.  In May, I headed down to California with Addie for my cousin’s wedding.  I brought the BEMER 3000 and was able to share it with my friend who had a son with autism.  I asked her how it was going after he used the mat for the first time. She said that she didn’t know and that he had had a seizure.  I wondered if it was a toxin-die-off reaction.  Luckily, he was okay. (Fast forward 8 years later and He is a typical 6th grader who loves basketball and socializing with friends).  I knew that Addie’s success with this new therapy had to be shared.  In a few months, she would be headed to kindergarten.  I was still a little worried about her ability to pay attention in kindergarten and want to participate but she definitely was changing.  Here are some blog entries I wrote around that time:

Friday, March 18, 2011 (Addie is 4 years old)

Progress with the BEMER!


Well, Addie has shown tremendous growth in the past month. Plus considering she is totally off the diet except for some probiotics I still give her every morning. On Feb. 22, she gave her first talk in Primary (Sunday School) in front of all the kids and she did awesome. We are in a new ward and I haven't needed to tell anyone about her previous diagnosis. She did just as well as the other kids her age and we were so proud of her. Addie can now write her name and her preschool teacher says she is making strides with her social goals as well. We asked her yesterday who her friend is at preschool, and she said "Grace." I was shocked on so many levels. First of all, she hardly ever answers hard questions, second of all she has typically a bad memory, and third of all she usually plays by herself at school. So, I am thrilled with this progress she is making! Yesterday we had friends over, and I told Addie to take the girls to her room to show them her Barbies and she did, and apparently, they had fun playing. I think she is acting more and more typical each day. So, it has been about 2 months of using the BEMER and the progress has been gradual, but the progress definitely is there, and I am excited about it! I am so thankful for this miracle!


Tuesday, January 10, 2012 (Addie is 5 ½ years old)

Addie in Public School


Addie has been going to Kindergarten since August and is doing great! She doesn't need an aide and is learning how to read. Yesterday she sounded out her first word to me and to her teacher! I asked her what she does at school, and she said, "I sit at my desk and do my work and write letters on papers." Right now, we have three neighborhood kids over that she is playing barbies with. I can't believe how far she has come!

I lent out my BEMER mat to a few other children on the spectrum.  All showed rapid gains in development after using the mat.  I have always worried that kids might have a negative reaction like my friend’s son did but so far, they all did fine.  I would like to open a place where kids on the spectrum can use the mats but alas, I am not a doctor and worry that I may be in over my head.  I know that using the machine needs to be under the care of a physician for kids on the spectrum.  You can buy a PEMF device without a prescription so anyone can use one if they really wanted to.  Maybe I just need a lawyer, not a doctor! 

Around the time Addie was in fifth grade in 2016, the school district wanted to evaluate her again.  They wanted to know if her IEP should still be qualified under Autism.  After all the tests and surveys, they determined that she no longer would receive services under the reason of “autism” but now, it was just under the term “specific learning disability.”  I knew she was doing well but she kept improving! We put her in volleyball lessons and electric guitar lessons. She continued to progress. 

Journal entry from August 2021… “Addie is going into tenth grade now. She is a typical moody teenager.  She has graduated out of all of her IEPs the last of which was just speech.  She is almost 15 years old and loves drawing digital art, running on the cross-country team, and playing her electrical guitar.  She has come a long way from being non-verbal and not knowing her name. She jokes with me; she sends me funny Instagram posts.  She wants to go into film production as a career.  I often come across children that never receive intervention in a bio-medical sense.  I have offered my machine to anyone who believes it could help their child. I often think if people just knew about this machine and tried it, it could make a big difference in the lives of many of these children. I have called many autism research groups but they wouldn’t take me seriously.   I almost went back to school just to get a master's in neuroscience so I could create medical studies on the BEMER.  I just may if writing this book doesn’t help spread the word enough. “ 

I don’t really know what else to say. This machine changed the trajectory of my daughter’s life.  She once was severely developmentally delayed and now she jokes around with me and has great communication skills.  She is still an introvert but then again so am I.  I hope this gives hope to many people out there who are in the same situation.  I can’t say that this is a cure for autism, but I believe if doctors knew what a difference it made in my daughter’s life they would be willing to recommend it.  It just may be the intervention that your child needs.

Comments